Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies


Hi! This is Travis Walker with the Law Offices of Travis R. Walker.

One of the questions we get asked a lot is with regards to the house, the marital home. If you own the home together, who gets possession of the home? Now typically that gets into a little bit of a gray area, because obviously sometimes there’s domestic abuse issues, there’s children involved, and the children is honestly one of the biggest interests that the court has. They want to make sure that the best interests of the children, which is the standard in Florida, are taken care of.

There’s a lot of different issues that interplay in there. One of the things that you can do is get what we call a temporary relief hearing, and get temporary and exclusive use of the home while the divorce is pending.

That being said, another thing, obviously at the end of the divorce, there’s opportunities to buy each other out, there’s opportunities to sell the home. There’s a lot of different things that can be done, you just have to either negotiate or you go to trial let the judge decide, but you have to put the best foot forward to make it happen.

So, Travis Walker, the Law Offices of Travis R. Walker, love to help you out, answer any questions you have with regards to marital home. Thanks.


At The Law Offices of Travis R. Walker, PA, we understand and appreciate the concerns and sensitivity related to family law issues in the Treasure Coast and Palm Beaches. Contact us today.