Land Use & Zoning Attorney in Stuart

Cities and states have specific rules about where businesses can operate. You have to be sure you are following these laws, or you could face legal repercussions that cost you money or disrupt your business operations. The Law Offices of Travis R. Walker, P.A. is here to help you navigate these complicated rules, protecting your business, and giving you peace of mind that you are complying with all local laws. We have many years of experience in land use and zoning laws on the Treasure Coast of Florida giving us the knowledge needed to represent your company. Whether you are taking a proactive approach or you are facing a land-use violation, our team can provide the help you need. Please reach out to us for more information.

Team picture of a law firm office

What Is Land Use & Zoning?

Land use and zoning laws are put in place to regulate the use and development of real estate within a municipality. Zoning is the most common form of land-use regulation and is used by local municipalities to control the development of property with the city’s borders. These zones are meant to divide the city into residential, commercial, and industrial “zones” in order to keep them separate. This is primarily to protect property values and residents, as most people don’t want to live next to a business or industrial facility. For this reason, companies are only allowed to operate within commercial zones. Our team can help you ensure you are in compliance with all zoning and land use regulations.

How We Can Help You

Our law firm in Florida has extensive experience in all areas of land use and zoning, which means we have the knowledge to help you through development projects. It is not uncommon for local governments to request or demand items from landowners and developers that are outside the scope of the law. They may suggest you are violating a city rule, but there are limits to what they can require you to do. You have worked hard to purchase your property and develop it as you want, and our team is here to ensure your rights are protected and that you are following all enforceable laws. We can provide legal guidance and representation for:

  • Site Plans: If you are planning to make improvements to your property, our team can ensure your site plans are in compliance with all regulations. This will help you get approval for your improvements before you begin any work.
  • Permitting: In most cities, you’re required to have permits for land development, building expansions, and other property improvements. We can help you complete the necessary paperwork to obtain these permits.
  • Riparian Rights: If you own waterfront property, you have special riparian rights that give you access to the water, as well as the right to gain access to your property from the water. Our team will help ensure your riparian rights are protected.
  • Code Enforcement: When developing your land or constructing a new addition, there are building codes and other rules you must follow. We can help with all areas of code enforcement so that you can build without any violations.
  • Zoning Changes: It is possible to change the zone of a property, allowing you to open a business on land that used to be zoned residential. Our team can help you as you attempt to change the zone of your property.
  • Variances: We can help you seek a variance if your planned use of the property will deviate from zoning laws. If granted, a variance will act as a waiver, giving you permission to go against certain aspects of the city’s zoning laws.
  • Planned Unit Developments (PUD): PUDs are special housing developments that do not have to follow the standard zoning requirements. We can help you work with the local government to develop criteria for your new housing community.
  • Development of Regional Impacts (DRI): If you are planning a large-scale development that will have effects beyond the local municipality, this requires special approval. Our team can represent you as you make your case for approval.
  • Annexations: If you plan to annex neighboring land to expand your property, our team can help you through the legal requirements of this process.
  • Developer’s Agreements: As a land developer, you may be required to sign a contract with the planning commission or board of supervisors with the city. This contract, known as a Developer’s Agreement, will clearly define all the rules and regulations of your project. We can help you understand this contract before your sign.
  • Platting: If you plan to develop your land and divide it into lots for resale, we are here to oversee the platting process. Our team will ensure you are legally protected throughout the process.

Contact Us Today

The Law Offices of Travis R. Walker, P.A. has a team of trusted legal professionals to help you in many areas, including land use and zoning. If you are a developer or plan to purchase property for commercial use, we encourage you to hire our team to represent you. We will look out for your best interests and ensure your rights are protected. Please reach out to us for more information or to schedule a consultation.

Your Three Steps to Moving Forward

Call our office or complete our contact form and set up an intake call with our Intake Coordinator.

Attend a virtual or in-office consultation so we can better understand your case and determine how we can help guide you to success.

Retain our firm so we may lead you through the legal process as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Currently Accepting New Clients

Our Office


Client Testimonials

blue quotation icon